MESSAGE FROM THE GENERAL MANAGER The 2020 Destination El Paso Marketing Plan represents our continuing commitment to creating conversations about El Paso in order to attract more visitors, more meetings and conventions and improved quality of life to the region. The Visit El Paso team has assisted in bringing in new conventions and meetings and attracting many new travelers to the region, helping hotel partners toward record growth in hotel occupancy and revenues. In addition, new special events and sporting events, like Sun City CRIT, and the continued growth of longstanding events, led to another record-breaking year in revenues for the El Paso Live team.
As those conversations continue to grow, so does our commitment to another record-breaking year in 2020. The 2020 Marketing Plan contains the roadmap.
The addition of new hotel rooms – and the coming return of two of El Paso’s historic signature hotels – has added to the momentum for Convention Development. This year, our goal is to increase confirmed room nights by 20 percent over the previous fiscal year. The marketing of El Paso as a desirable location for sporting events and the film industry will also make an impact on room nights. These efforts complement the Tourism Development department’s use of earned media to highlight El Paso as a top-notch destination.
This plan also sets forth a guide to growing our audience in Mexico with a comprehensive advertising campaign focused on several key markets.
El Paso Live’s contribution to the quality of life for those of us who live and enjoy the Sun City on a day-to-day basis also can’t be understated. Their work with tour organizers, show producers and their management of city-owned venues complements a variety of live entertainment and special events. Speaking of record-breaking, the El Paso Electric presents Broadway in El Paso series continues to grow as downtown’s signature event, bringing top-notch Broadway entertainment and thousands of visitors to the historic Plaza Theatre. The previous year was marked by a number of challenges for our region, but none can compare to the events that shook our community on August 3, 2019. Certainly, 2020 will bring many new challenges. However, due to our community’s resilience and our team’s successful campaign in the previous year, I’m proud to report that we are as optimistic as ever that we will again surpass the goals set forth in the 2020 Marketing Plan.
We remain El Paso Strong.
Bryan Crowe General Manager, Destination El Paso
WHO WE ARE
Destination El Paso is organized as the parent of two branded operating divisions: Visit El Paso and El Paso Live.
Visit El Paso is responsible for destination marketing for the City of El Paso and includes Convention Development, Meeting Planning Services, the El Paso Film Commission and Tourism Development. It includes management of three Visitor Information Centers, as well as advertising and media relations. El Paso Live is responsible for venue and event management of four City of El Paso-owned venues: Judson F. Williams Convention Center, Abraham Chavez Theatre, Plaza Theatre Performing Arts Centre and McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre & Pavilion. MISSION STATEMENT The mission of Destination El Paso is to provide convention, tourism, venue and event management services to visitors, clients and the greater El Paso community so they can enjoy a pleasurable experience that enhances quality of life and generates economic growth. Destination El Paso is funded primarily by the hotel/motel tax (HOT). Out of the 17.5% tax applied to each room night stay, we receive 4.5%, which is divided into 1.5% to venue operations and 3% to destination marketing. PROUDLY MANAGED BY ASM GLOBAL ASM Global was formed in October 2019 from the merger of AEG Facilities, the global innovator in live entertainment venues, and SMG, the gold standard in event management. ASM Global is a venue management powerhouse that spans five continents, 14 countries and more than 300 of the world’s most prestigious arenas, stadiums, convention and exhibit centers, and performing arts venues. As the world’s most trusted venue manager, ASM Global provides venue strategy and management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services. Among the venues in our portfolio are landmark facilities such as McCormick Place & Soldier Field in Chicago, the Los Angeles Convention Center, Tele2 Arena in Stockholm, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans and the Shenzhen World Exhibition and Conference Centre in Shenzhen, China. ASM Global also offers food and beverage operations through its concessions and catering companies. Each operating division is represented as a brand with its own website and social media presence.
VISIT EL PASO
The purpose of the Visit El Paso division is to provide destination-marketing services to visitors, industry professionals and the greater El Paso community so they can have a pleasurable and memorable experience while positively impacting the city’s economy. As the marketing arm of the City of El Paso, it is our goal to increase tourism and positive perception of our city by developing a strong advertising campaign and distributing relevant content across paid, owned and earned media channels to increase the destination and brand awareness of the region. This is vital to our efforts to grow visitor spending across all market segments – leisure, meetings, sports, tourism and film. DIVISION OBJECTIVES The main objective of Visit El Paso is to enhance visitor revenue, thus spurring economic impact in the region and for hotel and other industry partners. How do we do that? Visit El Paso promotes and markets El Paso as a desirable destination for tourists, groups, meetings and conventions. In turn, this leads to growth in the region’s lodging industry. ADVERTISING Visit El Paso’s 2020 advertising plan will continue to leverage traditional print media, online software, online interactive advertising, video and mobile technology to market in the ever-competitive destination/ meetings and convention space. With mobile technology, social media and traditional outlets all vying for marketing dollars, consumers have never been more saturated with advertising. Employing storytelling has not only helped Visit El Paso to market in a more authentic way to travelers and meeting planners, it allows the department to control El Paso’s narrative in a more meaningful way. With the growth of downtown and an ever-expanding list of attractions (downtown hotels, entertainment venues, sports facilities, restaurants and more), El Paso continues to be a relevant and exciting destination, and Visit El Paso is excited to continue to share that story. GEOFENCING Geofencing uses GPS technology to create virtual geographic boundaries, enabling software to trigger a response when a mobile device enters or leaves a particular area. Dedicated messaging is then delivered to the user. User information is stored and can be utilized at a later date for retargeting purposes. Geofencing was used to successfully target and market during trade shows in the previous FY. VIDEO Video advertising has become a prevalent part of online marketing and allows Visit El Paso to reach a large audience while telling El Paso’s story visually. Video ads are interactive and produce a high rate of completion.
CONVENTION DEVELOPMENT The Convention Development team represents the destination and the local hospitality industry on a state, regional and national level to secure conventions and meeting activity. In addition, the team maintains a consistent presence in the state capital, meeting with decision-makers and educating them on the destination’s offerings and new growth and development. HOTEL EXPANSION The strong public-private partnership that has funded downtown’s revitalization has fostered important development in the city that has enhanced the image of downtown as a thriving urban core and has contributed to the marketability of the destination. With the addition of properties such as the Aloft with its 89 rooms, the 42-room boutique hotel Stanton House and the Urban Courtyard with 151 rooms, downtown El Paso is on the verge of a major surge when it comes to available rooms in the downtown area. The addition of rooms makes El Paso more attractive to meeting planners and decision-makers, with more rooms scheduled to open in 2020 when the 350-room Hotel Paso del Norte, formerly the Camino Real, completes its two-year, $100 million renovation, restoring it to a Four-Star Convention Hotel. Adjacent to Hotel Paso del Norte, the 130-room upscale boutique Plaza Hotel Pioneer Plaza will also open its doors in 2020. YEAR IN REVIEW AND PLAN AHEAD Meeting and convention leads generated during the previous FY totaled 42,375 potential room nights. Of those, 12,486 room nights were confirmed for future years, a 29.5% conversion rate. As we look forward and prepare for the increase of new downtown hotel inventory, we continue to ramp up efforts. This year the team will set out to confirm over 30,000 total room nights, a 20% increase over the previous FY. The team will also undertake 15 state and national sales initiatives and increase advertising spend and reach.
Additionally, we have grown by adding sales managers both in El Paso and in our Austin office.
DEPARTMENT GOALS AND METRICS
Generate over 65,000 potential room night leads and confirm meetings and conventions with a goal of 30,000 total room nights for future years.
• Identify and prospect associations via research and state and national meeting databases including TXMet and Knowland. Leverage memberships in organizations such as TSAE. • Build relationships with decision-makers and educate them on El Paso’s unique offerings and new assets. • Prepare custom and comprehensive proposals for both meeting and sleeping accommodations based on client goals and requirements. • Continue to utilize incentives and offer concessions based on minimum hotel room usage and food and beverage minimums. • Leverage approximately $300,000 via the Texas Events Trust Fund, local incentives and partnerships.
Maintain involvement and maximize exposure with meeting planners and decision-makers via strategic sponsorships, sales calls and tradeshows on a state and national level.
• Maintain high visibility within the industry to keep top-of-mind awareness for El Paso. • Maintain a sales presence in the State Capital for maximum exposure with state planners. • Increase prospecting calls to a minimum of 25 per week, per sales manager • Attend a minimum of 10 high-impact industry trade shows to sustain visibility with meeting planners and mine new opportunities. • Host two familiarization tours annually designed to re-introduce meeting planners to the community. • Host meeting planners on individual site visits as needed.
• Number of decision-makers and planners hosted: 30 • Sales calls and initiatives: 16
Las Vegas, NV Ft. Worth, TX French Lick, IN El Paso, TX Tucson, AZ Louisville, KY Austin, TX Washington, DC Chicago, IL Las Vegas, NV TBA Las Vegas, NV TBA
September 14-17, 2020 September 20-22, 2020 October 4 - 6, 2020 October 11-13, 2020 December 2020 December 8-10, 2020
Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed Co-op with ASM Global Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed Co-op with ASM Global Hotel Participation Welcomed Hotel Participation Welcomed
January 2021 February 2021 April 24-28, 2021 May 2021 March 2021 June 2021 August 2021
September 2020 November 2020 January 2021 March 2021 July 2021 August 2021
Promote the destination to meeting planners and decision-makers with specific print and digital advertisements and promotional materials.
• Promote El Paso’s dramatically changing landscape, highlighting the addition of new hotel inventory, major hotel renovations and the half a billion-dollar bond investment. • Place print advertising in industry-related publications highlighting El Paso as a practical and affordable meeting destination. • Shift advertising dollars to new forms of promotion, specifically digital advertising, video, email and geofencing. STRATEGIES METRICS
• Conversion rate: .5% (Industry standard: .47%)
CONVENTION DEVELOPMENT ADVERTISING CVENT
Cvent, is a web-based software that allows destinations to position and market their meeting space, hotel accommodations and other attractions to meeting planners. The platform offers destinations the ability to market against their competitive set and accept and respond to RFP sent by planners. Investment includes: • 2 Diamond listings or preferred placement • Digital banner ads on Lubbock, Tucson, and Albuquerque pages • CVB copy feature
• 2-month competitive market ad in San Antonio during high sourcing period • 2-month competitive market ad in Albuquerque during high sourcing period PRINT ADVERTISING PUBLICATION CIRCULATION ISSUE(S) Meetings Today Prevue Small Market Meetings Smart Meetings Texas Meetings & Events
55,0000 37,800 10,929 47,250 9,500 30,000 1,300
Sept., Nov., Jan., May, Aug. Nov., Mar. Jan., Feb., Apr., Jun., Aug. Nov., Jun. Oct., Jan., Apr., Jul.
Prevue eBlast Small Market Meetings eBlast Smart Meetings Digital Issue eBlast Smart Meetings Digital Custom Lead Survey TexasMeetings &Events E-Newsletter &Web Banner Texas Meetings & Events Custom Email Texas Meetings & Events Sponsored Content TSAE Newsletter GEOFENCING Guaranteed Engagements: 20,000 Total shows: 2 (IMEX, Connect Texas)
Mar., Apr., Jul., Aug. Feb., Apr., Jul.
33,000 10,000 9,500 5,496 20,000 1,400
Mar. Apr. Every month
Nov. Nov. Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec., Jul., Aug.
VIDEO Guaranteed completion views: 20,000+
TOURISM DEVELOPMENT The purpose of the Tourism Department is to provide brand marketing, positive multimedia messaging, destination promotion and visitor services. It also supports visitors, media, local and regional communities and tourism industry professionals so they can develop and strengthen a positive image of the destination
thereby increasing economic impact on the community. YEAR IN REVIEW AND PLAN AHEAD
In the previous FY, the Tourism Development Team hosted and created a variety of events geared toward raising awareness of the region’s sights, culture, music, outdoor activities, food and more. The International Food Familiarization tour brought 10 food bloggers and writers to El Paso to enjoy the unique culinary experiences available in our community. About 300 journalists were hosted during the Society of American Travel Writers visit in October 2019. Sounds and Scenes, as well as, El Paso Talks and El Paso Sounds featured eight regional musicians and nine panelists. In addition, an updated leisure activity campaign was created, the Amigo Man was updated for new promotional and retail items, the team attended SXSW to raise awareness and share information about travel and tourism to El Paso, we partnered with Juárez and Las Cruces to bring awareness about tourism to the entire region, attended the U.S. Travel Association IPW tradeshow and purchased a tradeshow booth for the first time. Our endeavors were rewarded with several Texas Association of Convention and Visitor Bureaus Awards. VISITOR CENTERS Visit El Paso oversees two visitor centers: the Union Depot Visitor Information Center located in downtown El Paso and the Airport Visitor Information Center located in the lobby of the El Paso International Airport. Our visitor centers continue to be a vital component of our destination. With two visitor centers in the city, our information specialists are providing services for the leisure and convention traveler, both domestic and internationally. The centers oversee services for the incoming visitors, respond to inquiries, provide collateral materials for all attractions and participate in local events promoting the destination.
Department Goals and Metrics TOURISM DEVELOPMENT
Grow destination awareness within the community by increasing presence at events and educating locals and visitors on destination assets and Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) services.
• Attend 50 unique events in the region and secure 12,000 interactions. • Partner with Texas Visitor Centers to promote visitation to El Paso. • Produce and distribute 100,000 copies of the Official El Paso Visitors Guide.
• Visitor interactions: 12,000 • Events: 50
Maintain and promote the official Visit El Paso App.
• Create marketing collateral to be distributed to community partners. • Regularly update content and create new audio tours. • Highlight and promote annual events with dedicated categories.
• App downloads: 5,000
Create awareness about the Visit El Paso information centers.
• Create quarterly events at each Visit El Paso information center that will drive center traffic. • Maintain inventory and become the clearing-house for all attraction brochures. • Create a retail outlet for Amigo Man and destination merchandise. • Conduct visitor surveys to measure interest in El Paso as a destination and impact on the community.
• Events: 4 • Surveys: 1,000
EARNED MEDIA Visit El Paso works with media, publications, editors, journalists and freelance writers to generate articles about the destination. The earned media coverage leverages Visit El Paso’s overall marketing efforts and extends the reach of advertising campaigns. Earned media provides El Paso with third-party validation that is presented in an unbiased manner. TOURISM DEVELOPMENT
Department Goals and Metrics
Generate $2 million in editorial earned media that will create awareness and positive media coverage of the destination in domestic and international print, broadcast and social media outlets.
• Host Society of American Travel Writers Annual Convention in October 2019. • Host qualified journalists, bloggers and social media influencers through press visits and familiarization tours. • Develop relationships with international journalists to bring destination awareness. • Follow journalists, bloggers and social media influencers’ media outlets and websites to garner and maintain relationships. • Work with local attractions, organizations, hotels and others to pitch stories to influencers and travel writers. • Create a local blogger and influencer group to promote attractions, organizations, and local events within the El Paso community.
• Editorial value: $2 Million
GROUP TRAVEL Visit El Paso maintains involvement andmaximizes awareness of the destination to national and international tour operators by securing listing in annual tour operator guides, group servicing, attending sales missions, and hosting familiarization tours. In addition, the department assists local and regional attractions in the development of new travel products to market to tour operators, group travel and wholesale travel operators.
Establish relationships and maximize awareness of the destination to domestic and international tour operators by acquiring six published itineraries that feature El Paso, servicing 10 tour groups upon arrival.
• Actively participate in tradeshows, sales missions and other activities that target domestic and international tour operators. • Host a tour operator familiarization tour designed to introduce the destination to domestic tour operators and travel agents. • Collaborate with Juárez and Las Cruces to establish regional itineraries. • Maintain a database of tour operators that will be utilized to distribute key information about the destination. • Continue to actively participate with Team Texas on tour operator focused events.
• Published itineraries: 6 • Tour operator groups serviced: 10
EL PASO AMBASSADOR TRAINING The El Paso Ambassador Training is available to anyone who wants to learn more about El Paso and share their love for the Sun City. It’s an interactive tool that allows users to review history and information about the El Paso region and take quizzes to earn points and prizes. Visit El Paso’s Community Relations efforts include El Paso Ambassador Training and the branding of the Amigo Man, positioning him as El Paso’s sunniest ambassador. These efforts are aimed at engaging the community and local hotel and business partners to help market El Paso as a warm, friendly destination. COMMUNITY RELATIONS
Educate the tourism industry and regional community by securing 360 El Paso Ambassadors.
• Work with local hotels, City of El Paso and other corporate partners to generate participation. • Create two familiarization tours for those that have completed the training in full. • Invite ambassadors to El Paso Insider exclusive events. • Reward ambassadors with quarterly giveaways.
AMIGO MAN The Amigo Man is one of Visit El Paso’s most recognizable branding elements and has been El Paso’s official ambassador since 1976. In 2019, Visit El Paso re-emphasized the use of the Amigo Man to represent the City of El Paso at local, state and nationwide events. The Amigo Man made more than 50 appearances during the previous FY, including Austin’s South By Southwest, and was used in branding tools such as lapel pins, coffee mugs, buttons, pens and t-shirts.
Position the Amigo Man as the official ambassador of El Paso.
• Secure a minimum of 60 appearances. • Increase the Amigo Man’s social media following on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram through promotions and giveaways. • Partner with school districts and local organizations. • Create and sell Amigo Man merchandise.
• Appearances: 60
MARKETING & ADVERTISING El Paso Live utilizes a variety of paid media, including digital and traditional advertising, publishing and social media, to market and promote events. The team strategically targets niche markets to increase visitation to El Paso and works closely with government, organizations and the concert/event industry to promote El Paso’s appeal.
Department Goals and Metrics
Develop and implement a comprehensive advertising campaign targeting the Travel 300 (drivable markets within a 300-mile radius from El Paso) and national markets (focused on non-stop flight service) that will increase visitation to the destination and generate a .5% conversion rate.
• Utilize integrated efforts including advertising, publishing, innovative media placements, content and social media. • Increase targeted online digital advertising presence with video and native campaigns focusing on cities that provide non-stop service to and from El Paso. • Create digital campaigns for the Travel 300 that market special events, attractions and annual events. • Identify key print publication opportunities that will reach new markets. • Target consumers based on location and behavior with paid social media campaigns.
• Conversions: .5%
Develop and implement strategies to attract targeted niche markets such as eco-tourism, heritage and culture visitors, LGBTQ, families, Millennials and Big Bend travelers, in order to increase visitation to the destination.
• Leverage digital, paid social and SEO marketing to increase visitation from key segments. • Create native content specific to segment interest. • Target niche markets with fresh content on the Visit El Paso and website.
• Conversions: .5%
Enhance partnerships with the City of El Paso Economic Development department and strategic alliances in the industry, business, and other government areas to support the overreaching goal of becoming a stronger and more economically viable region.
• Partner with Economic Development, Chamber of Commerce, Borderplex Alliance and other entities to strengthening the local economy and grow tourism. • Work with regional organizations to position El Paso as the gateway to the region and its thriving economy. • Attend domestic and international sales missions and tradeshows that promote El Paso as the future of economic growth and destination appeal.
• Sales missions: 3
TRADITIONAL & NON-TRADITIONAL ADVERTISING PRINT ADVERTISING PUBLICATION CIRCULATION ISSUE(S) Authentic Texas Big Bend & Texas Mountain Trail Guide Canadian Traveler Grand Canyon Journal 30,000 100,000
Sept., Dec., Jun. Jul. Nov., Jul. Nov. Oct., Feb., May
30,000 30,000 15,000 15,200 126,000 1,050,000
Group Travel Leader Group Tour Magazine New Mexico Journey Texas Journey Texas Highways Texas Parks & Wildlife Texas State Travel Guide True West USA Today
Nov., Feb. Mar., Jul. Mar., May Mar., Jun. Jan., Mar., Apr., May Jan. Dec., Apr., Jun. Sept.
180,000 159,720 902,420 135,000 100,000
Canadian Traveler Trade/Consumer Banner & eNewsletter Go Texas/Go New Mexico Grand Canyon Journal Group Travel Leader Group Tour Magazine Shop Across Texas Texas Highways Banner Tour Texas Video Tour Texas Hot & Happening eBlast Tour Texas Destination Spotlight eNewsletter
50,000 26,000 100,000
Mar., Aug. Apr. Apr.
15,000 15,000 5,876,285
Oct., Feb., May Nov., Dec., Mar. Every month Feb., Jul. Mar. Nov., Jan., Apr., May, Jun., Jul., Aug. Mar., Jun. Apr. Apr., Aug.
50,000 86,663 60,000 100,000 100,000 75,0000
Tour Texas Native Campaign Tour Texas Featured Spotlight
Albuquerque Deming Midland
5,930,248 4,186,572 5,522,868
Year-round Year-round Year-round
MEXICO MARKETING & ADVERTISING Visit El Paso is focusing its marketing and advertising efforts on visitors from the city and state of Chihuahua, Torreón and Durango. Marketing efforts have expanded to include other areas such as Guadalajara, Mexico City, León and Aguascalientes. YEAR IN REVIEW AND PLAN AHEAD In the previous FY, Visit El Paso opened a Concierge Kiosk in Chihuahua City’s Fashion Mall to provide travelers with information, ticket sales to events via Ticketmaster and the ability to make hotel reservations. The initiative to market in Mexico includes radio, print, TV, digital and social media. In addition, Visit El Paso participated in a familiarization tour of Copper Canyon and met with Mexican tourism partners to increase tour operator traffic to our region. Visit El Paso also represented the city during the State of Texas’ Mexico Mission in the previous FY. The team met with tour operators, travel agencies and media in León, Aguascalientes and Mexico City.
MEXICO MARKETING & ADVERTISING
Department Goals and Metrics
Develop and implement a comprehensive advertising campaign for Mexican nationals by targeting key markets in Chihuahua, Torreón, Durango, León, Guadalajara, Aguascalientes and Mexico City.
• Create digital campaigns marketing special events and attractions. • Placement of print, TV and radio promotions. • Target consumers based on location and behavior with paid social media campaigns.
• Conversions: .5%
El Heraldo de Chihuahua El Regional El Siglo Torreón El Siglo de Durango
2,660,400 1,776,000 11,424,000 4,440,000
Oct., Nov., Dec., Mar., Apr., May, Jun., Jul., Aug. Oct., Nov., Dec., Mar., Apr., May, Jun., Jul., Aug. Oct., Nov., Dec., Mar., Apr., Jun., Jul., Aug. Oct., Nov., Dec., Mar., Apr., Jun., Jul., Aug.
Maintain involvement and maximize awareness of the destination to Mexican tour operators, wholesalers and travel agents by participating or hosting four shows annually.
• Participate in sales missions and other activities that target tour operators, wholesalers or travel agents. • Create and maintain a database that will be utilized to distribute key information about the destination. • Host familiarization tours annually designed to introduce the destination to tour operators, wholesalers and travel agents. • Assist local and regional attractions in the development of new travel offerings to market to tour operators, group travel and wholesale travel operators.
• Sales initiatives: 6
Leverage and enhance opportunities by collaborating with government agencies, economic development agencies and community leaders in the state of Chihuahua, Torreon, Durango and Mexico City.
• Participate in key events, chamber meetings, tourism meetings, event sponsorships, etc. to create strong relationships. • Build relationships with state and city government tourism offices to create reciprocity agreements. • Attend key tradeshows with regional partners to promote the destination. • Extend invitations to key leaders in the targeted communities to experience the destination.
• Co-Ops: 4
MEXICO MARKETING & ADVERTISING
MEXICO VISITOR CENTER
Create awareness about the Visit El Paso information center in Chihuahua.
• Book 100 hotel reservations at the Chihuahua information center. • Sell tickets to El Paso events at the Chihuahua information center. • Conduct visitor surveys to measure interest in El Paso as a destination. • Invite tourism partners to participate in sponsorship opportunities throughout the year. • Create a mobile visitor information kiosk that will participate in key events around the city to promote events and El Paso as a destination. • Create a Spanish visitors guide that will be distributed in Mexico.
• Hotel bookings: 100 • Interactions: 50,000
SPORTS DEVELOPMENT With the significant investments in sporting assets made by the city, Visit El Paso has dedicated resources and marketing dollars to Sports & Tournament Development. The Sports Development Team is responsible for marketing El Paso as a viable destination for Events Rights Holders and a prime market for hosting tournaments and other sports activities. The sales team has a goal to generate over 15,000 potential room night leads and confirm meetings and conventions with a goal of 12,000 total room nights for future years. YEAR IN REVIEW AND PLAN AHEAD In the previous FY, the Sports Development team generated leads with over 13,000 potential room nights and confirmed about 10,500 room nights for future years. With new assets breaking ground or coming online, the department will continue to seek out Events Rights Holders and reintroduce them to the city. The team will set out to generate more than 15,000 potential room night leads during 2020, with a goal of confirming more than 12,000 confirmed room nights. The team plans to meet these goals by undertaking more state and national sales initiatives and increasing its advertising spend and reach.
SPORTS DEVELOPMENT Department Goals and Metrics
Prospect and confirm tournament activity with significant room night utilization for future years.
• Identify, prospect and secure tournament activity that best fits the destination’s inventory and assets. • Continue to offer incentives and concessions based on minimum hotel room usage and/or food and beverage minimums. • Leverage approximately $150,000 via the Texas Events Trust Fund, local incentives and partnerships to attract and secure sporting events.
Increase involvement and maximize exposure with Events Rights Holders to create top-of-mind awareness.
• Attend a minimum of five high-impact industry tradeshows to introduce the destination to sports and tournament planners and educate them on new investments made. • Increase sales-calls to a minimum of 25 per week, per sales manager • Host familiarization tours annually designed to re-introduce sports and tournament planners to the community. • Host decision-makers on individual site visits as needed.
• Number of decision-makers and planners hosted: 10 • Sales calls & initiatives: 5
SPORTS DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVES FY 20/21
Connect Texas Connect eTourism Sports Summit TEAMS US Sports Congress ACES Sports ETA
El Paso, TX Seattle, WA Houston, TX Las Vegas, NV TBA Birmingham, AL
October 11-13, 2020 October 21-23, 2020 October 19-22, 2020 December 7-9, 2020 April 2021 April 26-29, 2021 June 2021 August 2021
Hotel Participation Welcomed — Hotel Participation Welcomed — Co-op with ASM Global Hotel Participation Welcomed Co-op with ASM Global Hotel Participation Welcomed
Esports Travel Summit Connect Marketplace
Market the destination with specific print and digital advertisements and promotional materials.
• Place strategic print advertising in related publications, highlighting El Paso’s investments and year-round ideal weather. • Shift advertising dollars to new forms of promotion specifically digital advertising, video, email and geofencing.
EL PASO FILM COMMISSION El Paso is a distinct and versatile location for feature, commercial, short, corporate and documentary films. The El Paso FilmCommission serves as a valuable resource to both visiting and local producers, assisting with location scouting, permissions, permits and logistical planning, while also providing referrals for crew, equipment and production services. It has become the go-to voice for creative filmmaking in El Paso. Adding to this reputation is the El Paso Film Commission’s growing presence and popularity on social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.
YEAR IN REVIEW AND PLAN AHEAD The Film Commission saw growth in the number of documentary, music video and non-scripted TV productions during the previous FY. A new, digital Signature Film permit has allowed for quicker and more efficient film permitting, and local community engagement has improved due to local event support such as the #ep2daymovie Challenge event and screening.
Department Goals and Metrics
Increase number of permitted productions with a goal of 119 shoot days, a Direct Economic Impact of $2.3 million and 560 room nights.
• Utilize Film Commission advertising and social media to raise awareness of El Paso. • Implement 100% electronic film permitting procedure to allow shorter turnaround for departmental approvals.
• Shoot days: 120 • Direct Economic Impact: $2.3 million • Room nights: 560
Market El Paso as an attractive, convenient, affordable and popular destination for all types of media production and post-production.
• Actively prospect location managers, producers, writers, and other decision-makers in major production markets. • Co-sponsor networking and lead-generating events with Texas Association of Film Commissions showcasing El Paso. • Promote El Paso and surrounding areas as accessible, economical, viable and distinctive, with advertisements, event sponsorships, and social media content.
• Number of scouts: 8 • Social Media engagement: 160,000 • Number of productions: 40
Advance and cultivate local assets including production, post-production and creative resources.
• Support local filmmaker events such as the El Paso Film Festival and the Plaza Classic Local Flavor Awards. • Use special events such as the #ep2daymovie Challenge and others to improve awareness of Film Commission goals. • Identify, catalog and formalize city-owned visual assets including parks, locations and the El Paso Streetcar.
• Event participation stats: 4 • Social media engagement: 160,000
EL PASO FILM COMMISSION MARKETING INITIATIVE SCHEDULE
El Paso Film Festival Special Event 10/24/19 Robert Rodriguez presents RED 11 Film Screening; Audience Favorite Film Award Austin Film Fest BBQ 10/24/19 - 10/27/19 Texas Association of Film Commissions Marketing Event (Filmmakers BBQ)
The Austin Film Festival and Writers Conference is one of the nation’s most respected and popular film festivals, with industry premieres, panels and workshops. The Film Texas BBQ is a well-attended annual event for all participating writers, filmmakers, producers, directors and industry executives.
American Film Market/Conference (Los Angeles) 11/8/19 - 11/13/19
The American Film Market (AFM) is the preeminent international film market in the western hemisphere, and provides access to filmmakers, producers, directors, media-makers, distributors, festival directors and Hollywood insiders.
Association of Film Commissioners International (AFCI) Week (Los Angeles) 3/30/19 - 4/3/19
This event is an annual industry conference limited to AFCI members, with direct access to motion picture industry professionals, executives, finance departments, network TV and streaming service producers. This is the AFCI’s signature promotional event allowing its members to reach hundreds of motion picture and television decision-makers.
SXSW Film Festival/Conference (Austin) 3/13/20-3/17/20 Texas Association of Film Commissions Marketing Event (Filmmakers Reception)
The SXSW Film Conference and Festival is one of the nation’s most respected and popular film festivals, with industry premieres, panels and workshops. The Film Texas reception is a standing room only annual event for all participating filmmakers, producers, directors and industry executives. #ep2daymovie Challenge/Industry Professional Familiarization Tour 6/12/2020 Screening Event/Reception (Plaza Theatre) Industry professionals will be hosted in El Paso to judge the participating films in the #ep2daymovie Challenge and network with local filmmakers (2 days).
Film Texas Brunch (Los Angeles) 06/20 Texas Association of Film Commissions Marketing Event
The Film Texas Brunch, now in its 28th year, is the premier marketing event in Los Angeles for the Texas Association of Film Commission members. It consists of an intensive two-hour brunch and networking event.
EL PASO LIVE
The El Paso Live division of Destination El Paso provides venue management and event development services to patrons, event organizers and the greater El Paso community for the enjoyment of entertainment and events that enhance the quality of life for patrons in facilities that exceed expectations. The focus of El Paso Live is to provide positive memorable experiences while increasing revenue growth through event attendance. Opportunities for expansion include: • Increased show bookings. • Increase in community involvement. • Implementation of comprehensive marketing strategies. DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW El Paso Live will consistently deliver quality and diverse entertainment through its theaters — the Plaza Theatre, Abraham Chavez Theatre, McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre and Philanthropy Theatre — leading to increased attendance and revenue growth. FUN FACTS: Venue Operations FY 18/19 Totals for Special Events and events at Plaza Theatre, Philanthropy Theatre, Abraham Chavez Theatre, Judson F. Williams Convention Center and McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre. Total # of events: 463 Total overall attendance: 455,977
Total # of active days: 617 Total nonprofit days: 243 Total gross income: $6,454,345
VENUE MANAGEMENT El Paso Live provides venue operations and event management at four city-owned properties: The Plaza Theatre Performing Arts Centre, Abraham Chavez Theatre, Judson F. Williams Convention Center, and McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre.
The El Paso Live team provides services to both patrons and event organizers, elevating concert, event and festival experiences to help raise the quality of entertainment and quality of life in El Paso.
TOTALS BY VENUE
Plaza Theatre and Philanthropy Theatre FY 18/19 Overall attendance: 125,598 Total events hosted: 117 Total gross income: $2,274,992
Abraham Chavez Theatre Overall attendance: 62,261 Total events hosted: 46 Total gross income: $712,215
Judson F. Williams Convention Center Overall attendance: 169,695 Total events hosted: 89 Total gross income: $2,696,148
McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre Overall attendance: 23,230 Total events hosted: 28 Total gross income: $335,466
Department Goals and Metrics
Continue to grow the El Paso Electric presents Broadway in El Paso series by increasing season ticket holders and attract shows with multiple performances.
• Offer season tickets for sale to the public before the Broadway season starts both online and through traditional direct mail and email campaigns. • Host special events and sponsor nights with cast members for season ticket-holders. • Host media events and press conferences. • Implement an “El Paso Experience” package (dining, hotel and show) to tour operators in Juárez and Chihuahua City, Mexico. • Secure Spanish language print and digital advertisements in Juárez.
*Season ticket sales still in progress.
FUN STATS Broadway season ticket-holders
• Broadway season
2018: 1,747 2019: 1,758*
2016: 1,074 2017: 1,526
Grow relationships with promoters and agents to encourage and secure quality programs that maximize theatre attendance, opportunities to book more performances and value-added promotions.
• Host promoters in El Paso and educate them about the destination venues and marketing infrastructure. • Partner with promoters for a stake in the rewards of specific theatrical and concert venue programming. • Attend national conferences for networking opportunities at the corporate, national and international level which strengthens relationships with agents and promoters and initiates creative and new programming. • Work with promoters to create comprehensive marketing plans that include media buys and value-added promotions opportunities. • Track monetary value of promotional campaigns by sharing media efforts with agents and promoters.
• Events booked: 250
FUN FACTS Previous FY ad totals:
Ad plans: $244,340 Total Marketing Promotions Value: $669,925 Street teams: Over 125 street team/press packets distribution deployed
Top ad plans:
$13,658 paid $198,500 promotion/added value
$27,572 paid $12,425 promotion/added value
Viva El Paso:
$12,857,070 paid $55,000 in promotion/added value
Sun City Craft Beer Festival:
Events booked for FY 18/19: 463 Events booked for FY 17/18: 248
SPECIAL EVENTS & FESTIVALS The El Paso Live Special Events & Festivals department generates excitement and improves the quality of life for the El Paso community and surrounding areas by growing established events and festivals and continuously seeking new opportunities.
SPECIAL EVENTS & FESTIVALS
Department Goals and Metrics
Create quality events that engage the community and impact our city’s economy.
• Seek trending events matching our market’s culture and desires by researching national markets. • Host strategic planning meetings with marketing, operations, production, and finance teams to ensure event execution meets or exceeds expectations. • Coordinate with surrounding businesses and organizations to partner and/or cross-promote events with nearby events or promotions.
FUN STAT Attendance • Previous FY: 80,978
• Attendance goal: 90,000
WHAT’S NEW Criterium racing is a unique form of cycling that stresses high speeds amidst a thriving urban atmosphere. El Pasoans had the unique opportunity in the previous FY to experience a high caliber event that brings a unique set of skills to the world of cycling. El Paso’s first criterium race event was highly successful and the partnership with USA CRITS will continue in FY 19/20. Attendance: 2,800
1 2 3 4
Minimum five year agreement. International and National competitors (nine countries & 27 states). One of nine communities selected in the U.S. El Paso selected as 2019 and 2020 Season Opener.
Increase event sponsorships and continue to create fully-integratedmarketing campaigns that showcase sponsor brands.
• Research market to gain insight on client marketing needs and collaborate customizable opportunities that reach targeted demographics and specific marketing goals. • Present comprehensive sponsorship packages aligning and targeting prospective businesses and aligning interests to the event. • Present sponsorship recaps following events with an assessment of achieved goals and fulfilled expectations and results, along with a video and/or photography presentation to encourage sponsorship renewal.
• Increase number of total sponsors and vendors • Previous FY total sponsors and vendors: 135
Increase awareness of annual special events.
• Solidify media partners to help market through various media channels to include trade, giveaways, contests, publicity and promotions for special events. • Partner with regional and international media outlets to market in “Travel 300” which includes northern New Mexico, West Texas and Chihuahua, México, to increase overnight visitation.
FUN STAT WinterFest 2018
• Media partnerships: 10
23,676 people enjoyed WinterFest during the return of the festival’s 3rd season in downtown’s Arts Festival Plaza in 2018.